Merit Scholarships for Transfer StudentsIf you are transferring to the University of Maryland, we offer scholarships tailored just for you!
|Important Update: The TAES application deadline was March 1. We are no longer accepting applications. If selected for this award, you will be contacted by the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.|
Review the details below for best scholarship consideration, as the eligibility requirements for each transfer scholarship vary.
Transfer Academic Excellence Scholarship
The Transfer Academic Excellence Scholarship (TAES) is awarded each fall semester and assists transfer students by covering full tuition for four consecutive semesters. The TAES application is due no later than March 1. Before applying, be sure to review the TAES Program Policy.
To be eligible for TAES, candidates must:
- Be a new transfer applicant to the University of Maryland for the fall or spring semesters with no previous attendance at the University of Maryland.
- Be a resident of the state of Maryland at the time of applying. Review residency requirements and contact the Residency Classification Office if you have any questions.
- Have an overall cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher on a 4.0 scale for all college work, including work from institutions other than Maryland community colleges.
- Have earned an associate’s degree from a Maryland community college, or have completed or be in the process of completing 56 college credits with the most recent 30 credits earned at a Maryland community college. The degree or credits must be earned prior to the first semester of enrollment at the University of Maryland. Students completing their 56th credit at the time of applying must reflect that courses are in progress on their transcript or on the transfer application.
- Show English language proficiency, as demonstrated through a full-file review.
To apply for TAES, candidates must submit the following required materials by March 1:
- The transfer application for admission through the Apply Yourself portal.
- All applicants should complete the TAES application online when submitting their application for admission. The online TAES application is included in the transfer application.
- For spring applicants, if you did not complete and submit the TAES application online please send and email to ApplyMaryland@umd.edu no later than February 1.
- Official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended.
- List and description of extracurricular and personal activities, including dates, and describing your involvement and participation.
- Three-page, typed and double-spaced essay on the following topic: Describe the neighborhood or community you grew up in. How has it shaped your dreams and aspirations, and how do you intend to use your educational and professional goals to impact the University of Maryland and beyond?
- Two letters of recommendation, one of which must be from a community college faculty member, and one from an individual of your choosing. Letters must be confidential and returned to the applicant in a sealed, signed envelope.
*If you are mailing any application materials, please send them to:
Transfer Academic Excellence Scholarship Committee
University of Maryland
Office of Undergraduate Admissions
7999 Regents Dr.
College Park, MD 20742-5235, USA
Weinberg Regents Scholarship
Review the eligibility requirements and apply for the Weinberg Regents Scholarship.
Presidents Transfer Scholarship
Review the eligibility requirements and apply for the Presidents Transfer Scholarship.
Other Financial Aid Resources
Visit the Office of Student Financial Aid for additional merit scholarship information.