English Language Proficiency
The Office of Undergraduate Admissions will consider all materials submitted in the application package to determine your level of English proficiency. The table below shows the Test of English as a Foreign Lanaguage (TOEFL) and International English Language Testing System (IELTS) scores that meet the English proficiency requirement and those that require participation in the Maryland English Institute.
|English Proficiency Tests||Score|
|Paper-Based TOEFL (PBT)|
|University of Maryland passing score||575|
|Maryland English Institute||474 to 574|
|Internet-Based TOEFL (IBT)|
|University of Maryland passing score||100|
|Maryland English Institute||99 or lower|
|International English Language Testing System (IELTS)|
|University of Maryland passing score||7|
|Maryland English Institute||6.5 or lower|
While a passing TOEFL/IELTS score is the only absolute way a student can meet the English proficiency requirement, we may consider waiving the TOEFL/IELTS requirement if a student has completed one of the following:
- Four years at a U.S. high school without English as a Second Language (ESL)
- A.A., bachelor’s, or master’s degree earned from a U.S. accredited institution
- 55+ credits from a U.S. institution with coursework equivalent to English Compositions 1 and 2
- Advanced Subsidiary or Advanced level English language exam (British Curriculum)
- A completed high school or university degree earned from one of the following countries1:
|Bahamas||Ghana||Namibia||Trinidad and Tobago|
|Barbados||Grenada||New Zealand||Turks and Caicos Islands|
|Belize||Guyana||Nigeria||U.S. Virgin Islands|
|British Virgin Islands||Jamaica||South Africa||United Kingdom|
1. Puerto Ricans are U.S. citizens, but the TOEFL is required.
2. TOEFL/IELTS is required for the French system only.
3. English speaking territories only.