Maryland Transfer Advantage Program
The Maryland Transfer Advantage Program (MTAP) provides a pathway for community college students at participating institutions who intend to complete a bachelor’s degree at the University of Maryland. Students participate in MTAP while taking courses at their community college.
Participating community colleges include:
- Anne Arundel Community College
- Carroll Community College
- College of Southern Maryland
- Frederick Community College
- Montgomery College
- Prince George’s Community College
Students may apply for MTAP during their first semester at community college. Students must complete an MTAP Application online by June 1 (for fall participation) or November 15 (for spring participation). Students are notified within 4-6 weeks after the application deadline, contingent upon enrollment verification provided by the community college. Electronic welcome emails will be sent to accepted MTAP participants using the email provided in the application.
*Please note: To be eligible for MTAP, students must have graduated from high school and be enrolled at one of the six partner community colleges.
- Prepare for successful completion of a bachelor’s degree at UMD while attending one of six community colleges
- Participate in transfer advising activities and opportunities to take UMD courses at a 25% reduced tuition while enrolled at the community college
- Benefit from guaranteed admission to UMD upon successful completion of the program and submission of a transfer application to the university by the priority deadline
- Complete 30 college credit hours or an associate’s degree from a MTAP partner community college (see Frequently Asked Questions for AP/IB credits and previous institution credits under “Useful Links for MTAP”)
- Complete Fundamental Studies Academic Writing and Mathematics
- Complete MTAP requirements with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 or a B average; all previous institutions attended and current community college transcripts will be considered to meet cumulative GPA requirements of MTAP
- Work closely with your community college counselor in order to ensure you complete the above MTAP requirements and meet the program’s guidelines at your college
- Apply to transfer to UMD by the priority application deadline
Once students are accepted into MTAP, they are eligible to enroll in a course at the University of Maryland. In order to register for a course, the student has to complete and submit a Course Interest Survey for concurrent enrollment by the deadline indicated at the top of the form; all courses count toward a student’s overall academic performance once they transfer. Students that take advantage of the course enrollment option are able to do the following:
- Explore courses at UMD that are currently not offered at their community college.
- As a MTAP participant, receive a 25% course-tuition scholarship for one UMD course per term (not to exceed 9 total credits) offered at College Park or at The Universities at Shady Grove
* Please note: MTAP participants should register for courses using the CIS form, which should be submitted to the MTAP representatives.MTAP students cannot register themselves for courses. Doing so will result in being dropped from classes, and possible financial penalties.
- Frequently Asked Questions
- MTAP Online Application
- Video Tutorial on completing the online application
- MTAP Course Interest Survey
- Majors at UMD
- Four-year Plans
- Limited Enrollment Programs
- Transfer Credit Services allows you to investigate how courses taken at another institution will transfer to the UMD
- The Articulation system for Maryland Colleges and University (ARTSYS) gives information on how courses from any Maryland college or university will transfer to the UMD
- The UMD Schedule of Classes lists all currently offered courses, course descriptions and course pre-requisites
- Pre-transfer Advising
The online application for Fall 2015 participation in the MTAP program is no longer available for the June 1 deadline. For all students who applied by the June 1 deadline, you will receive a decision in 4-6 weeks.
For students interested in completing an application for participation in MTAP for Spring 2016, the application will be available in mid-September and is due by November 15.