Maryland Transfer Advantage ProgramStudents who participate in MTAP are guaranteed admission to the University of Maryland upon successful completion of the program and submission of a transfer application to the university by the priority deadline.
The MTAP application is now available for Fall 2017 participation! The final deadline to submit the MTAP application is June 1 at 5:00 p.m. Decisions regarding MTAP participation will be released by mid-July. Course Interest Surveys are due on April 2 for summer session and August 1 for the fall semester. Should you have any questions, please send an email to email@example.com.
The application for Fall 2017 participation will open in April with a final deadline for submission of June 1st.
The Maryland Transfer Advantage Program (MTAP) provides a pathway for students at participating community college to earn a bachelor’s degree at the University of Maryland (UMD). Students participate in MTAP while taking courses at their community college before officially transferring to UMD.
Participating community colleges include: Anne Arundel Community College, Carroll Community College, College of Southern Maryland, Community College of Baltimore County, Frederick Community College, Montgomery College, Prince George’s Community College.
To be eligible for MTAP, students should have graduated from high school and must be enrolled at one of the program’s seven partner community colleges. Students may apply from the time they are admitted to community college until the MTAP deadline prior to their last semester. Students applying after the priority deadline will be considered on a space-available basis.
Incoming freshmen who have been admitted to UMD for the spring semester are not eligible to apply to MTAP.
Students should complete the online MTAP Application by the following deadlines:
|MTAP Application Timeline|
|MTAP Application Deadline||Semester in which you can take a UMD course:||Must complete at least 15 credits at a community college and all MTAP requirements by:||Plan to transfer to UMD in:|
|June 1, 2016 *||Summer 2016 or Fall 2016||Fall 2016||Spring (Jan.) 2017|
|Nov. 15, 2016||Winter 2017 or Spring 2017||Summer 2017||Fall (Aug.) 2017|
|June 1, 2017||Summer 2017 or Fall 2017||Fall 2017||Spring (Jan.) 2018|
*All students admitted from the June 1 deadline are eligible to take a course at the University of Maryland for Summer Session II if course interest surveys are submitted by June 15.
You must participate in MTAP for a minimum of one semester before transferring to Maryland. When you are ready to transfer to Maryland as a degree-seeking student, please complete the application for transfer admission by the appropriate priority deadline. Incoming freshmen who have been admitted to the University of Maryland for the spring semester are not eligible to apply to MTAP.
Once your application is submitted, your community college will be informed and the community college will submit your academic transcript or enrollment verification form. Once these items are received, your MTAP application will be complete and the Office of Undergraduate Admissions will review your application.
Students are notified via email of their MTAP admission decision 4-6 weeks after the application deadline, contingent upon the enrollment verification provided by the community college. Welcome emails will be sent to admitted MTAP participants using the email provided in the application.
Taking UMD courses through MTAP
Once admitted to the program, MTAP students will have access to transfer advising resources and can take UMD courses at a 25% reduced tuition rate until they officially transfer to the university. With the payment of fees, participants can access all services and benefits available to UMD students including a UMD student ID and access to the library system, athletic events, Shuttle–UM buses, the Campus Recreation Center, the Stamp Student Union and the University Health Center and reduced ticket prices for events at the Clarice Smith Performing Arts Center.
After students are accepted into MTAP, they are eligible to enroll in a course at UMD. In order to register for a course, the student has to complete and submit a Course Interest Survey for concurrent enrollment by the deadline indicated at the top of the form. Students should review the Schedule of Classes to choose possible courses and submit their completed Course Interest Survey via one of the methods below.
If the course interest survey is received by the appropriate deadline, students will be registered for their MTAP course at the reduced tuition rate. Students are unable to register themselves for MTAP courses. Doing so will result in being dropped from classes and possible financial penalties. All courses count toward a student’s overall academic performance once they transfer to Maryland. Students can submit their Course Interest Survey via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Course Interest Survey Deadlines Fall Semester Winter Term Spring Semester Summer Session August 1st October 23rd January 2nd April 2nd
To complete the program requirements and successfully transfer to Maryland, students should work closely with their community college counselor to meet the following minimum criteria:
- Complete the Maryland transfer application by the priority application deadline during the semester in which you’ll complete the MTAP requirements
- Complete 30 college credit hours or earn an associate’s degree from a MTAP partner community college
- Complete Fundamental Studies Academic Writing and Mathematics
- Earn a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 or a "B" average from all previous institutions attended
Students must participate in MTAP at least one semester in order to receive guaranteed transfer admission to UMD.
Students may use AP/IB credits towards the 30 credits needed for successful transfer to Maryland as long as the last 15 credits are completed at a participating MTAP community college. Original AP/IB test scores must be sent directly from the testing agency to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. Additionally, credits earned at another two- or four-year institution before transferring to a participating MTAP community college can be used to meet the MTAP requirements. Any of these previously-earned credits may count towards the fundamental English (only English Composition) and Math requirement required for MTAP completion.
The Articulation system for Maryland Colleges and University (ARTSYS) and Transfer Credit Services website provide information on how courses from any Maryland college or university will transfer to UMD.
|Mail:||University of Maryland
Office of Undergraduate Admissions
7999 Regents Dr.
College Park, MD 20742-5235, USA
1. Who should consider the Maryland Transfer Advantage Program?
- Students who intend to complete 30 credits or an Associate’s Degree at the participating community college after graduating from high school, then transfer to the University of Maryland.
- Students currently attending a participating community college who plan to transfer to the University of Maryland to complete a bachelor’s degree.
- Ineligible applicants:
o Spring admitted freshman
o Students who are re-enrolling at the University of Maryland
o Students currently enrolled at a four-year institution
o Students who have been academically dismissed from the University of Maryland
o Students who apply for MTAP and admission to the university at the same time
Participating community colleges include:
- Anne Arundel Community College
- College of Southern Maryland
- Frederick Community College
- Montgomery College
- Prince George’s Community College
- Community College of Baltimore County
- Carrol Community College
2. When should a student apply to the Maryland Transfer Advantage Program?
- You are encouraged to apply to the program as soon as you are accepted to the community college, but you can apply by the deadline prior to your last semester.
- If you plan to enroll at Maryland in the fall semester and want to participate in MTAP the semester prior to transferring, you must meet the MTAP application deadline of November 15 (spring participation). If you plan to enroll at Maryland in the spring and take advantage of MTAP, you must meet the MTAP deadline of June 1 (fall participation).
- You must participate in MTAP for a minimum of one semester before transferring. When you are ready to transfer to the University of Maryland as a degreeâ€seeking student, please complete the application for transfer admission by the appropriate priority deadline. See question 6 for further details.
MTAP Application Timeline
MTAP Application Deadline
Term in which you may take a UMD Course
Must complete at least 15 credits at community college and successfully complete MTAP requirements by
Plan to transfer to Maryland
Summer or Fall
Spring Semester (January)
Winter or Spring
Fall Semester (August)
Summer or Fall
Spring Semester (January)
*A student can transfer at a later time than indicated on the timeline. Students should plan to transfer during the semester in which they will successfully complete the MTAP requirements. All MTAP students should apply to transfer by the priority deadline, with all transcripts submitted to be considered. Students applying after the priority deadline will be considered only on a space available basis.
3. How do students apply to the Maryland Transfer Advantage Program?
- Complete and submit the Maryland Transfer Advantage application online from the MTAP website: https://www.admissions.umd.edu/apply/mtap.php.
- MTAP applications must be submitted no later than the application deadline of June 1 or November 15. After the deadline, applications are inaccessible for the MTAP program and you will be required to apply by the next MTAP deadline.
- Once your application is submitted, your community college will be informed and the community college will submit your academic transcript or enrollment verification form. Once your transcripts or enrollment verification form are received, your MTAP application will be complete and the Office of Undergraduate Admissions will review your application.
- If we have any questions, or need additional information, we will email you directly.
4. How will an applicant for MTAP be informed?
- ï‚·Students will receive an MTAP welcome email within 4-6 weeks after the MTAP application deadline. The welcome email will contain MTAP resources, as well as pertinent details on how to register for an MTAP course and complete the MTAP program. MTAP emails will be sent directly to the email provided on the MTAP application.
- Once you are accepted to participate in MTAP, you will receive a newsletter each semester with deadline reminder and important information about the University of Maryland.
5. How does a MTAP student enroll in a University of Maryland course will attending their community college?
- You must be accepted to the MTAP program. Once you are enrolled at your community college, you are eligible to submit a Course Interest Survey to register for a course.
- Refer to the University of Maryland Schedule of Classes to choose possible courses. Registration for a particular course will be according to seat availability. To register for a course, you must have completed the required prerequisites. Please note that some courses are restricted to students in Limited Enrollment Programs or to Maryland students in particular majors.
- Complete the Course Interest Survey before the scheduled deadlines, meet with your community college advisor to discuss your course selection, and ask the advisor to complete and sign the form. Attached to Course Interest Survey is a required Residency Form that will determine your residency for tuition purposes.
- Once the Course Interest Survey is completed entirely, you will need to submit the form to the University of Maryland’s Office of Undergraduate Admissions via mail, email or fax. You will be contacted via email regarding the status of your course interest survey form. You will receive a 25 % course tuition scholarship, limited to one course per semester at the University of Maryland with a maximum of nine credits. With the payment of fees, you’ll have access to all services and benefits available to University of Maryland students including a Maryland student ID and access to the UMD library system, athletic events, Shuttleâ€UM buses, the Campus Recreation Center, the Stamp Student Union and the University Health Center and reduced ticket prices for events at the Clarice Smith Performing Arts Center.
- Please note: All courses completed while in the MTAP program will count toward your overall cumulative credits and GPA when applying to transfer to the university. Once an MTAP participant transfers to the university, the 25% tuition scholarship no longer applies to tuition.
- Course Interest Surveys may be processed more quickly if sent through fax to 301-314-9693.
6. How does a student complete the MTAP and gain admission to the University of Maryland?
For completion of the Maryland Transfer Advantage Program you must:
- Submit the Transfer Application by the priority deadline, March 1 (fall) or August 1 (spring). On the transfer application, please indicate your participation in MTAP in question 16. Continue to complete and finish your program at the community college (associate’s degree or 30 credits), including five general education courses. Two courses must be freshman English and a collegeâ€level math course.
- Achieve a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 from all previously attended institutions in order to receive the admission benefits of the MTAP program.
- For best consideration for priority transfer admission it is encouraged to complete MTAP requirements at the time of application for priority admission (March 1st or August 1st).
- Following the completion of the requirements and acceptance into the university, enroll at the University of Maryland.
- MTAP students are not guaranteed admission at the University of Maryland, Shady Grove Campus, students who wish to participate in their Terp Transfer Partnership must reach out to Director of Transfer Access Programs Justin Edgar at email@example.com
- Not matriculate at any other institution of higher education after MTAP acceptance.
ï‚·- Participants in the Maryland Transfer Advantage Program do not receive special consideration for acceptance into Limited Enrollment Programs.
7. If I have AP/IB credits, or credits from another institution, may I use them towards the 30 credits?
- Yes, students may use AP/IB credits towards the 30 credits needed for successful completion of MTAP requirements.
o For example, if a student has 15 AP/IB, their last 15 credits must be completed at their community college.
- However, AB/IB credits earned will not count towards the 30 credits of the transfer application. 30 credits completed at the community college post high school will be counted for the transfer application process since AP/IB credits were completed before high school graduation
o For example, if a student has 27 credits completed a their community college and has earned 3 credits from an AP exam that student will still need to send their high school transcript and SAT/ACT scores to the University of Maryland by the priority deadline in order to have a complete application.
o If 30 credits are completed at the community college then no high school transcript or SAT/ACT scores will be needed.
- The original AP test scores must be sent to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions from College Board and/or IB from International Baccalaureate. Please note that AP/IB scores accepted at the MTAP Community College will meet the University of Maryland’s MTAP requirements. All AP/IB credit is subject to review to meet the standards of awarding credit at the University of Maryland.
- If you have transferred from another 4 year or 2 year institution, these credits can be used to meet your MTAP requirements, but your last 15 credits must be completed from an MTAP MD Community College.
- AP/IB credits or credits from another institution may count towards the fundamental English (only English Composition) and Math requirement required for MTAP completion.
8. When should a MTAP participant transfer to the University of Maryland?
- You should submit the transfer application by the priority decision deadline, during the semester in which you will complete the MTAP requirements. Upon successful completion of the program requirements, you are guaranteed admission to the University of Maryland.
- At a minimum, you must participate in the program for one semester for all benefits to apply.
- For information regarding transfer to the University of Maryland, please refer to the University of Maryland Transfer Application Checklist.
- If you have questions about the admission process, please contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions at ApplyMaryland@umd.edu.
9. What if I miss the priority deadline?
- The priority deadline for MTAP students is strongly encouraged, and space is limited for those who submit an application after the priority deadline.
- All MTAP participants who have completed international coursework must complete their application by the priority deadline.
- If you are an MTAP participant and you are an international student, please refer to the requirements for transfer admissions.