Transfer Credits

Wondering if the courses you have taken at another college would count at the University of Maryland? Transfer Credit Services can help.

The Transfer Credit Services office facilitates the evaluation of credit for new students who have earned college credit or successfully completed Advanced Placement (AP)International Baccalaureate (IB), A/AS level examinations, or certain other standard exams. It also provides information and assistance to transfer advisors and prospective students. Students and advisors work together to decide how courses fit into a student’s individual program, while the center provides course equivalencies, credit reports and articulation tables. We have nearly 280,000 course evaluations from colleges and universities across the nation in our database.

Your official college transcript(s) will be evaluated after you have been admitted to Maryland; final determination of course transferability and applicability will be made by your academic department. Please mail your transfer credit documents to:

Office of the Registrar
University of Maryland
1113 Mitchell Building
College Park, MD 20742

Generally, credit should have been earned at a regionally accredited institution, and we evaluate transfer credit based on the following criteria:

  • Only courses with a grade of "C-" or better will transfer, although we will accept grades of "D-" from Maryland public institutions. Certain restrictions may apply.

  • No more than 60 community college credits---or a combination of 90 from both two- and four-year institutions-are applicable to a degree here. An exception may be made in programs requiring more than 120 credits for graduation. (In any case, your final 30 credits must be earned at the University of Maryland, College Park to earn a Maryland diploma.)

  • Professional, technical/vocational, internship/externship and remedial courses will not transfer.

  • Some military credit earned at regionally accredited institutions such as the Defense Language Institute and the Community College of the Air Force is transferable.  Credit for basic military training is awarded to qualified students based on submission of required documentation.  Visit the basic military credit policy for details.

  • Only credit transfers to Maryland, not the grade point average (GPA). However, GPA at previous institutions may be used in evaluating your application for any Limited Enrollment Programs.

  • Credit is not awarded for nontraditional or extracurricular learning even if another college or university previously granted credit for such work.

  • Courses taken outside the U.S. will be evaluated for credit. Transcripts should be sent in the native language with a certified English translation.

  • Courses taken on the quarter system will receive the standard .67 credit per credit-hour of study (i.e., a 3 credit course at a quarter school will merit 2 credits here).

  • Credit for pass-fail or "satisfactory" grades will be awarded if you can demonstrate that you earned a "C-" or better.

If you have earned college credit in the U.S. and submitted official transcripts, you may access your transfer credit evaluation online 10 business days after you receive your letter of admission. Please note that this is a preliminary and ongoing evaluation; every effort will be made to provide a comprehensive evaluation before you register for classes at Orientation. Your academic department and college make final decisions about course transferability and applicability towards your degree. Review our 4-Year Plans for information about the major and graduation requirements for specific programs.

If you submit official AP or IB or other exam score reports, you should expect to access your preliminary transfer credit report at the same site.

To ensure you have an updated record on file at Maryland, submit a final official transcript that includes grades for any course work in progress at the time of your original application.

If you would like to speak with a University of Maryland advisor prior to applying for admissions about your credits, please contact the Pre-Transfer Advising program.

Visit Transfer Credit Services online at

Your Admission Representative Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Connecticut Delaware Delaware District of Columbia District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming Puerto Rico Virgin Islands International